Three Rivers Pagans
Guidelines and Bylaws
Three Rivers Pagans recognizes the growing number of people who are being drawn to New Age and Neo-Pagan thinking and beliefs. It is our goal to create and provide a safe place for all who seek to learn about, and be a part of, this wonderful and growing community in Northeast Indiana.
We, as a group, realize the reality that not everyone wants their faith public for the world to know, whether it be for personal, professional, or stigma reasons. Those who are part of TRP or a visitor agree to keep names of attendees and membership confidential to those outside of TRP unless you have their permission. Violation of this could lead to being asked to not attend future TRP functions.
We realize at TRP events there are those who want to take photographs. Please do not take or publish any photographs of those at TRP events without their expressed permission. This is to help preserve the privacy and confidentiality of those that attend our functions.
Usage of Name and Logo
The use of Three Rivers Pagans, TRP, and associated logos shall only be used with permission of the appropriate facilitators. Usage without permission may result in removal from the group.
TRP is a family friendly environment and encourage parents to bring their children. If you do bring your children you are responsible for their actions and care taking. We are not a babysitting service.
Even though we are family friendly there are events that are not intended for minors. Events will be labeled minor friendly or not minor friendly when announced.
If you are under the age of 18 and want to attend meetings without a parent than a meeting between your parents and facilitators of the TRP need to take place for information and questions. At this meeting a consent form must be signed by the parents in order for a minor to attend TRP functions without parental supervision.
Any issues one may have with another person in the TRP or its facilitators needs to be handled in an adult and civilized manner. Drama is not welcomed nor tolerated at any TRP function. The parties involved might be asked to not attend future TRP functions.
We ask that everyone treats others in the group and those that might surround us where we gather with respect. This includes keeping civilized volumes of conversation, respecting personal space, and respecting the views and beliefs of others. We are open to people of all backgrounds and faiths. No one should feel as if they are not welcomed because of this.
Alcohol and Drugs
Unless otherwise stated all TRP events are alcohol and drug free. If someone is believed to be under the influence you might be asked to leave the event. This is to ensure the safety and well being of those at our events. At events that alcohol is allowed NO ONE UNDER THE LEGAL AGE OF CONSUMPTION will be allowed to imbibe. If caught you will be asked to leave immediately. This is again to ensure the safety of those in attendance and is also to comply with. state and federal laws.
We at TRP realize that people have reservations about doing anything of a magickal/energy nature with others. Any participation within any ritual, meditation, or energy working is 100% voluntary. No one should be made to feel bad for not participating or for participating. If you choose to not participate, but choose to observe than we ask that you remain quiet and respectful during these times. Failure to oblige might result in being asked to leave.
If you choose to participate, remember it is of your own free will. Be respectful during these times. Also please do not show up under the influence of recreational drugs or alcohol. Keep in mind certain practices are looked down upon by some and best kept to private practice such as sacrifices and skyclad.
Code of Conduct
TRP realizes what one does outside of the group are of their own free will but TRP does not want certain things related to it. We do not condone illegal activities of any kind.
At any point when representing TRP or wearing anything bearing our logo, please present yourself in a respectful, responsible manner and remember you are representing the group and Pagan community.
While we recognize that not everyone will play by the rules, a process must be in place to deal with such issues as they arise. The following procedure will be utilized when applicable, with the possibility of steps being subverted depending on the situation:
First transgression will result in a friendly verbal reminder of what proper conduct is.
Second transgression will result in the member temporarily leaving the group for a couple of weeks.
Third transgression will result in being asked to no longer attend TRP events and removal from online lists and groups.
We support and uphold the “Principles of Belief” as set forth by the American Council of Witches in 1974 and “The Earth Religion Anti-Abuse Resolution,” adopted in 1988.
Principles of Belief (1974)
- We practice rites to attune ourselves with the natural rhythm of life forces marked by the phases of the Moon and the seasonal Quarters and Cross-Quarters.
- We recognize that our intelligence gives us a unique responsibility toward our environment. We seek to live in harmony with Nature, in ecological balance offering fulfillment to life and consciousness within an evolutionary concept.
- We acknowledge a depth of power far greater than that apparent to the average person. Because it is far greater than ordinary it is sometimes called “supernatural”, but we see it as lying within that which is naturally potential to all.
- We conceive of the Creative Power in the universe as manifesting through polarity-as masculine and feminine-and that this same Creative Power lies in all people, and functions through the interaction of the masculine and feminine. We value neither (gender) above the other, knowing each to be supportive to the other. We value sex as pleasure, as the symbol and embodiment of life, and as one of the sources of energies used in magickal practice and religious worship.
- We recognize both outer worlds and inner of psychological, worlds sometimes known as the Spiritual World, the Collective Unconscious, Inner Planes, etc.-and we see in the interaction of these two dimensions the basis for paranormal phenomena and magical exercises. We neglect neither dimension for the other, seeing both as necessary for our fulfillment.
- We do not recognize any authoritarian hierarchy, but do honor those who teach, respect those who share their greater knowledge and wisdom, and acknowledge those who have courageously given of themselves in leadership.
- We see religion, magick and wisdom in living as being united in the way one views the world and lives within it – a world-view and philosophy of life, which we identify as Witchcraft – the Wiccan Way.
- Calling oneself “Witch” does not make a Witch – but neither does heredity itself, nor the collecting of titles, degrees and initiations. A Witch seeks to control the forces within her/himself that make life possible in order to live wisely and will without harm to others and in harmony with nature.
- We believe in the affirmation and fulfillment of life in a continuation of evolution and development of consciousness giving meaning to the Universe we know and our personal role within it.
- Our only animosity towards Christianity, or toward any other religion or philosophy of life, is to the extent that its institutions have claimed to be “the only way” and have sought to deny freedom to others and to suppress other ways of religious practice and belief.
11. As American Witches, we are not threatened by debates on the history of the Craft, the origins of various terms, the legitimacy of various aspects of different traditions. We are concerned with our present and our future.
- We do not accept the concept of absolute evil, nor do we worship any entity known as “Satan” or “the Devil”, as defined by Christian tradition. We do not seek power through the suffering of others, nor accept that personal benefit can be derived only by denial to another.
- We believe that we should seek within Nature that which is contributory to our health and well being.
The Earth Religion Anti-Abuse Resolution (1988)
We, the undersigned, as adherents of Pagan and Neo-Pagan Earth Religions, including Wicca or Neo-Pagan Witchcraft, practice a variety of positive, life affirming faiths that are dedicated to healing, both of ourselves and of the Earth. As such, we do not advocate or condone any acts that victimize others, including those proscribed by law. As one of our most widely accepted precepts is the Wicca Rede’s injunction to “harm none,” we absolutely condemn the practices of child abuse, sexual abuse and any other form of abuse that does harm to the bodies, minds or spirits of the victims of such abuses. We recognize and revere the divinity of Nature in our Mother the Earth, and we conduct our rites of worship in a manner that is ethical, compassionate and constitutionally protected. We neither acknowledge or worship the Christian devil, “Satan,” who is not in our Pagan pantheons. We will not tolerate slander or libel against our churches, clergy or congregations and we are prepared to defend our civil rights with such legal action as we deem necessary and appropriate.
(This resolution was adopted by major workshops at the following 1988 Pagan Ecumenical Conferences: Ancient Ways (California) May 27-30; Pagan Spirit Gathering (Wisconsin) June 17th.) Provided to Northeast Council of W.I.C.C.A. by the Pagan Community Council of Ohio.)